Subject: pkgsrc and 'make update' - please ignore previous mail from me
To: NetBSD tech-pkg <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2005 19:08:08
Hi,

I hope I'm sending this to the proper mailing list.

I'm trying to understand something about NetBSD, more specifically pkgsrc.
I'm using pkgsrc.tar.gz from a few days ago, and I'm having serious trouble
installing/updating some of my software.

I believe ../meta-pkgs/gnome and ../meta-pkgs/php4-extensions is broken (as
other users have put it, I don't really know what "broken" means since I'm
not experienced enough with NetBSD and pkgsrc yet).

Anyway, in my view, I'm experiencing several problems:
1).  I'm trying to update gnome from/with '../meta-pkgs/gnome/make update'
and all starts fine, but then bombs out with package gnome-media with
several errors starting with:

gst-cdparanoia-cdrom.o(.text+0x14ba): In function
`gst_cdparanoia_cdrom_get_status':
: undefined reference to `lrint'
gmake[3]: *** [gnome-cd] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/gnome2-media/work/gnome-media-2.10.2/gnome-cd'
gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/gnome2-media/work/gnome-media-2.10.2/gnome-cd'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/gnome2-media/work/gnome-media-2.10.2'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/gnome2-media
===>
===> There was an error during the ``build'' phase.
===> Please investigate the following for more information:
===>      * log of the build
===>      * /usr/pkgsrc/multimedia/gnome2-media/work/.work.log
===>
*** Error code 1

Stop.

2).  I've already had KOffice updated (from updating KDE I believe), but in
the process of updating another package, it (make update) deinstalled
KOffice and is in the process of rebuilding it (a huge waste of time).

3).  Whether I try 'make update' or just 'make' in
../meta-pkgs/php4-extensions it bombs out with errors telling me a package
is needed, but the packages IS installed and at it's newest version:

checking whether to enable xslt support... yes, shared
checking for XSLT Sablotron backend... /usr/pkg
checking for libexpat dir for Sablotron XSL support... /usr/pkg
checking for iconv dir for Sablotron XSL support... no
checking for JavaScript for Sablotron XSL support... no
checking for sablot-config... found
checking for Sablotron version... >= 0.96
configure: error: iconv not found. To build sablotron you need the iconv
library.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/php4-xslt
===>
===> There was an error during the ``configure'' phase.
===> Please investigate the following for more information:
===>      * config.log
===>      * /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/php4-xslt/work/.work.log
===>
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/textproc/php4-xslt
*** Error code 1

Stop.

What I ended up doing was removing my /usr/pkgsrc directory and unpacking
the new pkgsrc.tar.gz and starting over, but that did not help at all (still
the same problems).  Will pkg_admin help straighten out some of these
problems?  Is there any other tools I can use to check/fix pkg DB problems?

All help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Robert