Subject: Re: Using devel/readline for bash (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/shells/bash)
To: Min Sik Kim <minskim@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/2005 09:45:22
-On [20050702 00:47], Min Sik Kim (minskim@NetBSD.org) wrote:
>>Why do we need to add the dependency for devel/readline to other systems
>>then Darwin?
>
>I think depending on another package is preferred in pkgsrc to using
>libraries shipped with distfile, unless the pkgsrc version is too
>old.  In fact, shells/bash already has a dependency on devel/gettext-
>lib, even though it is shipped with its own gettext library.

And what about systems that include readline in their base system (such as
DragonFly, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD)?  It seems NetBSD is the only of the 4
bigger BSDs than took readline out of the base system.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds
whatever we want...