Subject: Re: building from pkgsrc on NetBSD/AMD64
To: None <>
From: Matthias Scheler <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/01/2005 16:31:52
In article <01a901c57da8$184526d0$>,
	"Robert Cates" <> writes:
> Once I've installed NetBSD/AMD64 and choose my software from pkgsrc, will
> the software be built and installed in 64-bit?

Yes, it will. But unfortunately that's not always for the better because
a lot of 3rd party programs don't work properly if they are compiled
as 64 Bit binaries.

This is one of the reasons why Sun uses a hybrid approach in Solaris.
You get 32 bit and 64 bit libraries and only a necessary few 64 bit
applications (e.g. "truss"). Things like e.g. Mozilla are 32 bit
applications which therefore don't suffer from bugs caused by
lack of 64 bit portability.

	Kind regards

Matthias Scheler