Subject: up-to-date pkg_tools along netbsd-2?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2005 11:39:20
I just updated source '-r netbsd-2' on a sparc64 box and did a full
build/install.  This resulted in /usr/sbin/pkg_add etc. being too old
for pkgsrc-head, and needing to build/install pkgtools/pkg_install.

This isn't wrong per se, in that in general pkgsrc might need newer
tools than what's installed and need to update them, but I had
expected stable branches (netbsd-2, but not netbsd-2-0) to have recent
pkg tools, at least recent enough for the most recent pkgsrc stable
branch.  I realize there's a stability argument to be made for not
pulling up such changes, but old pkg_add is in some sense already
broken.

Is this situation intended, or worthy of a PR?