Subject: Unsupported relocation type 10 in non-PLT relocations
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: ian <techpkg@minimal.cx>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2005 10:52:55
Hi,

I'm getting problems with ClamAV (0.85, 0.85.1 and 0.86.1) as well as
Pango (as part of an Ethereal build).  This is on a 3.0 BETA macppc
system (2005-06-18 snapshot) with the 25jun05 pkgsrc.tar.gz file (the
ClamAV versions before 0.86.1 were with an older pkgsrc.tar.gz)

With ClamAV the build works fine but trying to run freshclam results in:

# freshclam
/usr/pkg/lib/libclamav.so.1: Unsupported relocation type 10 in non-
PLT relocations

and during the build of the Ethereal dependancies I see:

Writing a pango.modules file to use when running examples before
installing Pango.
/usr/pkgsrc/devel/pango/work/.buildlink/lib/libfontconfig.so.1:
Unsupported relocation type 10 in non-PLT relocations

I've Googled enough to know it has to do with -fPIC/-FPIC and trying
to link non-relocatable objects into relocatable ones, but that's
pretty much all I've found on the subject: unless there's some simple
thing I've missed, this does require a decent knowledge of the inner
workings of {g}cc/ld and the structure of libraries (which I don't
currently possess).

I'm (very) willing to learn in order to help solve this one, but I
haven't got very far by myself and would welcome all suggestions
(apart from changing the architecture :)  I can probably provide SSH
access to someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't have a 3.0
BETA macppc machine if this gets very tough.

Any starting points would be great.

Thanks in advance,
--
Ian Spray.
GPG Fingerprint: D170 35A3 C858 6E85 9B5B  1557 4CD5 6F6F E176 2D0A