Subject: Re: make update
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/23/2005 07:24:06
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:08:53 -0400
Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net> wrote:
> make update is terribly broken. It is not correct, nor can I see how
> it was ever thought to be correct, to wipe out every package with a
> pkg_delete -r before it's even known if they'll build (commonly
> leaving one with half the packages they had, if they do it on
> something like mplayer, have KDE installed, and KDE doesn't build...)

This topic has come up again and again.  I still don't understand what
the opposition is to keeping the system useable as long as possible.
See my message in
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2003/01/04/0007.html for my
previous discussion of this topic.  There have also been proposals to
simply pack up the packages before deleting them so that they can be
restored if the build fails.  Both ways may have problems but it still
seems to me that worst case with those solutions are still no worse than
the only case with the current one.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/