Subject: Re: PKGSRC and IRIX
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/16/2005 09:39:29

"Pangrazio, Robert Thomas (UMR-Student)" <> wrote:
> I am trying to compile some packages, namely AbiWord, Firefox, and
> Thunderbird for my SGI Octane. It is running 6.5.22. I can get some
> packages but certain packages like glib2 fail. Has anyone had any
> success with pkgsrc on IRIX.

Yes, pkgsrc under IRIX works reasonably well, but as you've noticed
there are some problems.  If you take a look at the results of the bulk
builds, you'll see what about 1800 packages build fine (ie about a
third), which ain't too bad but still leave plenty of room for

> I thought about maybe getting some of the
> libraries from and perhaps also manually compiling the
> packages outside of pkgsrc. Has anyone had any experience mixing things
> like this?

That is not a good idea.  As with NetBSD or Linux or any other operating
system, pkgsrc really needs to control all the third-party software.
Otherwise, it won't be able to determine and register dependencies

As laborsome as it may be, the best approach is to determine why a
certain package doesn't build correctly and try to fix it.  If you have
patches, please post them here on this list.

Thanks, and good luck!

"Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)