Subject: Re: Solaris: native Xrender not recognized
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2005 22:27:50
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Johnny Lam wrote:
> No version is determined by design.  Until someone provides a way to
> determine the version of those X11 distributions, it's supposed to be okay to
> have BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native be undefined.

IC... I tested this with "make show-var
VARNAME=BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native", and seeing it return nothing at all
it confused me. I don't understand the underlying code at all, but by not
setting it it seems a bit harder to trace errors ("is it undefined by
mistake, or on purpose?").

>> With BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native set, pkgsrc/x11/Xrender/builtin.mk then
>> doesn't know how to determine if Xrender is present on the named
>> OpenWindows version, as no corresponding _BLTN_XRENDER_${_version_}.openwin
>> variable is set. Again this is also the case for other systems like Irix
>> etc. The second patch below does _something_ here again, but it's also more
>> an indicator where to fill in real data, and not ready for use too.
>
> Is this something that you saw through testing or by code inspection?  I

"make show-var VARNAME=BUILTIN_X11_VERSION.native" in pkgsrc/x11/xcursor
(IIRC).

> wasn't able to test on a Solaris system as I don't have access to one, but
> the Xrender/builtin.mk file should simply not be setting a value for
> BUILTIN_PKG.Xrender on OpenWindows, which skips the version number check
> later on in the file.  By default, Xrender/builtin.mk, on any X11
> distribution, will use the built-in Xrender as long as
>
>   (1) Xrender.h exists, and
>   (2) The imake check for the BuildRenderLibrary symbol is passed.

Hm, both these are there:

1)
rfhpc8317% find /usr/openwin/ -name Xrender.h
/usr/openwin/share/include/X11/extensions/Xrender.h

2)
rfhpc8317% grep BuildRenderLibrary /usr/openwin/lib/config/*
/usr/openwin/lib/config/Project.tmpl:#ifndef BuildRenderLibrary
/usr/openwin/lib/config/Project.tmpl:#define BuildRenderLibrary      YES
/usr/openwin/lib/config/Project.tmpl:#if BuildRenderLibrary

>> I don't know how to determine the OpenWindows Version here, else I could at
>> least tell one version that has Xrender - fwiw, I'm running Solaris 9/x86
>> here, somewhat patched.
>
> If you find a reliable way to determine the OpenWindows version, please let
> me know.

Don't hold your breath - seems I ran into some timeout for hacking on
this, at least for now. ;)

  - Hubert