Subject: Re: mk/gnu-config question/request
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/12/2005 23:47:39
In article <20050612205059.GJ96173@nexus.ninth-circle.org> Jeroen wrote:
: -On [20050612 20:48], Johnny C. Lam (jlam@NetBSD.org) wrote:
: >We've discussed this in the past, and we don't want to ever automatically
: >run the GNU autotools.  We often patch configure scripts and Makefile.in
: >files directly since in the past, GNU autotool-generated files have
: >been highly dependent on having the correct minor version of either
: >GNU autoconf or GNU automake.

: You rather prefer X times that set of lines/bunch of patches per pkg that
: uses libtool/autoconf that does not support platform/OS X yet?

  If these patches are similar enough, maybe we can come up with a sed
script that automatically patches the configure scripts?

: That's a high maintenance nightmare.

  As is patching every single package that does not work with our
current version of autoconf or automake.  Not to mention the
maintenance nightmare you get when updating autoconf or automake.

  Not to mention that a lot of packages would then depend on autoconf
and automake, which pulls in perl, and have to recreate these files,
which takes a lot of time on slower machines.

						yours,
						dillo