Subject: Re: pkgsrc and case-sensitive HFS+ problem
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/11/2005 15:43:17
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

> -On [20050611 21:32], John D. Baker (jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com) wrote:
> >There appears to
> >be a lot of information on this issue--basically UTF-8 vs. UniCode.
>
> Erhm, UTF-8 is a Unicode encoding method, so I fail to see the difference
> there.

So, I've just exposed my ignorance on this issue.  I haven't really had
to think about filename character (en)coding before.  (I'm another one
of those mono-lingual Americans...)  Last time I played in the guts of
a filesystem was when I was hacking CP/M systems.

From what I've been able to read so far, it may be an issue with how
the UTF-8 character is being normalized to the UTF-16 underlying HFS+.
Apple uses NFD while almost everyone else uses NFC.  Again, I don't see
why this might cause a problem, as I thought it should be a transparent
issue for the filesystem layer.

Whatever is at issue, it keeps me from un-tar-ing files with filenames
containing characters 0x80-0xff on HFS+ (whether case-sensitive or not).

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD