Subject: Re: seg fault in pkgsrc pkg_install
To: James Tanis <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org, jtanis@pycoder.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@gmx.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/11/2005 18:35:24
[moved to tech-pkg@, where this belongs]

In article <Pine.BSO.4.61.0506071138300.14007@loki.pycoder.org> you wrote:
> I'm relatively new to NetBSD. I've updated the pkgsrc tree and did a
> successful pkgsrc bootstrap. Anyway, upon attempting to compile nano I
> was told I needed to update pkg_install. make works fine, but when
> attempting a make install I get,
>
> # make install
> ===> *** No /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found,
> ===> *** skipping vulnerability checks. To fix, install
> ===> *** the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages package and run
> ===> *** '/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
> ===> Installing for pkg_install-20050530
> [1]   Segmentation fault (core dumped) (cd ${dir} && /u...
> *** Error code 1
>
> Not very informative I know, but that is all it gives me, any help would
> be appreciated. Besides the install of one binary package (wget), this
> is a new plain vanilla install of v2.0.2 on the sparc sun4m
> architecture.

I wonder if this is related to 'pkg_admin rebuild'.
Can you run that command and see what happens?
If it dumps core, can you "rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.byfile.db" and try again?

(Then again, I think "make install" doesn't work for the pkg_install
package, but I forgot what the right way is... 'make replace' worked for
me).

 - Hubert