Subject: Re: tnftp build fails on MacOS X 10.3.9 (bootstrap)
To: Idar Tollefsen <idart@performancedesign.no>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/11/2005 11:18:22
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Idar Tollefsen wrote:

> > I'm not at my Mac OS X system, but IIRC, libSystem is much like
> > libc. You shouldn't have to do anything special to link with it.
>
> And libstdc++. For instance, "-lstdc++" tells the linker to do some
> magic and link against libSystem. But, as you say, this should all
> happen behind the scene.

In /usr/lib/, libc.dylib (as well as a number of others) is a symlink
to libSystem.dylib (which is a symlink to libSystem.B.dylib).  Unless
the linker is being told to ignore libc, or libSystem, or whatever voodo
Apple did to their gcc, it should have picked up the the equivalent of
libgen automagically.  Strange.

Unfortunately, there's no consistency between releases of MacOS X as to
which libs are separate files and which libs are just symlinks to
libSystem, as the case of qt3-libs and qt3-tools illustrates (10.2 rolls
libresolv into libSystem and libdl is separate, while 10.3 does the
opposite).

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD