Subject: Re: some new LaTeX packages in wip
To: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/09/2005 14:04:58
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:33:53PM +0200, Antoine Reilles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Jun 9, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> >
> >>- teTeX3: meta-package for teTeX3-*.  Since there are packages that
> >> depend on the teTeX meta-pkg, they didn't work with teTeX3 (yet).
> >> http://lori.mine.nu:5190/pkgsrc/teTeX3.tgz
> >>

> >Um, the long-term idea here was to make the "teTeX" package pull in
> >the teTeX3 packages eventually. I got half-through testing all
> >pkgs, but ran out of time.
>
> I posted a while ago on tech-pkg (around 7 april 2005) a proposition
> of a mk/latex.mk file to provide for tetex about the same
> functionality as the emacs.mk file do for emacs : allow to deal
> smoothly with dependancies over different latex implementation,
> different texmf tree locations, and such
>
> I also posted a PR about it: pkg/30012
> I used it for some time, but reverted back since then, seing that
> nobody seemed interested.
>
> Indeed, this proposition had at least one bug, it do not install
> teTeX if it is not installed, but the other intended features worked
>
> Please let me know if you are interested in this idea, we could make
> it more robust, and help fix some of the issues with the different
> tetex ports

You mean some kind of teTeX meta-package which is agnostic about which
version of LaTeX it "represents"?

Then I would like to extend this idea for more general things: e.g.
texmaker needs "a" pdf-viewer, but wouldn't care whether it's xpdf or
acroread or something else.  We could create a "pdfviewer" meta-pkg,
which would be satisfied with any version of xpdf, acroread, ... as
dependency.

GH

--
:wq