Subject: Re: Perl changes *after* branch
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/08/2005 12:11:18
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
> Have you looked at bsdpan which is included in the FreeBSD ports?  Very
> useful for registering pkgs installed through the CPAN module. (Haven't had
> the time yet to check if it already supported something like this in
> pkgsrc.)

No, I believe this is the wrong way to go.  I've outlined my plan in the
slides found here:

and it's more fully described in the PR database at:

With these changes, the user can simply use the CPAN module to install
and deinstall perl modules independently of pkgsrc.  I am not in favor
of automatically generating perl module packages through CPAN since the
results are not consistently predictable and thus are not usable as

	-- Johnny Lam <>