Subject: Re: Summer of Code: pkgsrc "library"?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/07/2005 13:53:05
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 00:27 +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > So... what do you think about this project?  Do you think it'd be worth
> > the effort?  Or should I think about something else?
>
> I think there's still quite some shaking & moving in pkgsrc, looking at
> 'make update', 'make replace', pkg_chk, pkg_comp, etc. which will probably
> make things like a uniform user interface more difficult.

But it is still possible if the tool itself handles the dependency tree
internally (rather than leaving it to make).  The tool could then decide
which is the best order in which to build dependencies, avoid duplicate
rebuilds during the updates, usage of binary packages or builds from
sources transparently...

Anyway, what I had in mind was a general purpose library to manage
pkgsrc.  It'd even be used as a foundation for a future rewrite of the
pkg_* tools (given that there are always complaints about their ugly
code base).

> As for the GUI: have a look at pkgsrc-wip/pkg_select.

Hmm, it's certainly nice-looking.  But when I said 'text-based', I
really mean a command line utility where you could throw a list of
packages to be installed and let it DTRT based on a set of preferences.
(Another thing could be the graphical UI, which in this case could be
somewhat similar to pkg_select... have you ever seen Debian's Synaptic
package manager?).

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>