Subject: Re: binary bootstrap kits as native packages
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/05/2005 12:10:16

Luke Mewburn <> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:53:17PM +1000, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
>   | Has there been any consideration to distributing binary bootstrap kit=
>   | in the target platforms native package format?  For example MacOS .pk=
>   | or Red Hat/Fedora Core's rpm?
>   |=20
>   | I do realize that just extracting the kit at / is very easy.  However=
>   | just goes that little bit more to allow pkgsrc tools to be installed=
>   | almost without thought or instructions.
> I think this is a good idea, as is providing "native" binary packages
> for non-NetBSD platforms that have been built from source with pkgsrc.
> It would go greatly to expanding the appeal of pkgsrc-built-binaries
> on those other platforms.

Something like a 'make native-package'?  I'm not sure, but wouldn't this
entail pkgsrc understanding and becoming compatible with other package
managers in order to be able to accurately construct the proper
dependencies and all?

I understand that it'd be nice for the bootstrap packages, but then
again, we've been meaning to pkgify bootstrap properly for a while, so
that it would register as a regular (pkgsrc-style) package, which I
think would then obsolete the need for native format packages somewhat.

``Life is too short to stay entirely sober.'' -- Chuck Swiger

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)