Subject: Re: Documenting user-variables
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/04/2005 18:15:43
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:
> It was designed to document the *user-visible* parts of pkgsrc, which most
> definitely includes everything a user can set in mk.conf (which includes,
> AFAICT, almost all of what's in packages.7).

Seems you know more than who did (part of) that "design" then. :)

> Documenting internal variables used for .mk processing purposes in
> bsd.pkg.mk would be OK, but the user-visible ones should be in real
> documentation, not hidden in a .mk file.

I think the moving to src/.../packages.7 has shown how well it's
maintained when it's away from the code, and I'm afraid this will happen
in the pkgsrc guide as well.

But either way, would you be interested in moving packages.7 back into
pkgsrc, into bsd.pkg.mk and (if you insist) the pkgsrc guide?

  - Hubert

--
Genervt von Viren und von Viren versandten Spam-Mails?  -> www.NetBSD.de
Fed up from viruses & virus-originated spam mail?       -> www.NetBSD.org