Subject: Documenting user-variables
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2005 21:28:34
Hi,

[first of all... is this the right list for questions about the pkgsrc
guide or should I be posting to netbsd-docs@?]

If you have read the new pkginstall chapter, you may have found that it
includes some notes on how to configure its behavior at "run" time;
e.g., avoid installing configuration files, registering shells,
etc.  I believe this is incorrectly placed, as that information is not
developer-only.

So I'm wondering which could be the right place for it in the user's
part; none of the existing sections seem appropriate, though.  The only
idea I have is to create a new chapter, say 'Configuring pkgsrc', which
documents all these and other variables.  Some of its sections could be:

- General configuration (DISTDIR, PACKAGES, WRKOBJDIR, etc.).
- Compiler settings (PKGSRC_COMPILER, CFLAGS, etc.).
- Configuration files (PKG_SYSCONFBASE, PKG_SYSCONFDIR.foobar).
- Security (ALLOW_VULNERABLE_PACKAGES, PKGVULNDIR).
- Developer/advanced settings (IGNORE_RECOMMENDED, PKG_DEVELOPER, etc.).
- pkginstall-related variables (PKG_REGISTER_SHELLS, PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS,
  etc.).
- Specific package options (the options framework from user's POV).
- And a lot more, probably.

How does this look?  Any better approach?

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/