Subject: Re: unpriviledged build + parallel builds
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2005 19:47:53
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> Recommended reading:
>>   * pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk
>>   * pkgsrc/mk/*
>>   * pkgsrc/mk/*/*
>
> At first I thought the reply was to me. :)

It partly was, but not that part above ;)

Coming to think of "unprivileged builds", maybe we should define what that
means, actually. Right now, I see two possible things:
  1) create fully installable packages, like what NetBSD's 'build.sh -u
     release' does. This is hard. very.
  2) allow building as much as possible as "normal" user. This is what
     we got last week, mostly. see
     http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/34019.html. This probably works
     for many things out of the box; finding the other cases would be good,
     and this is where your bulk builds can come into game.

I wrote my previous mail with #1 in mind, but only realized that we
probably will want #2 instead. (Or do we?)

  - Hubert

--
Genervt von Viren und von Viren versandten Spam-Mails?  -> www.NetBSD.de
Fed up from viruses & virus-originated spam mail?       -> www.NetBSD.org