Subject: Re: unpriviledged build + parallel builds
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2005 12:44:19

Joerg Sonnenberger <> wrote:

> I'm interested in both projects as part of the Summer of Code and
> would like to pick one of them. Actually I'm thinking about doing
> both at the same time, since one strongly affects the others.=20

Well, I think these two can be separated into distinct projects without
a problem, but it may be that you would have a stronger proposal if you
want to add both.

> My first question is of course, does someone else want to work on
> this?

I believe that Johnny C. Lam (jlam@) has done some work in the are of
parallelizing pkgsrc bulk builds under a framework called 'bobac'.  But
I'm unsure what the status is.

I also think that there are bits in pkgsrc to do unprivileged builds,
but that they need some work.

> I don't want to step on someone else's foot. Second question
> is, whom should I talk with about the design I have in mind and the
> set of features and requirements?

As others noted, I also believe that this list (and to a certain degree
the tech-cluster mailing list) is the best place to discuss these
things.  I myself am personally interested in this, too, and would be
glad to help overlook this project to a certain degree.

Ancient Principle of WYGIWYGAINGW:
What You Get Is What You're Given, And It's No Good Whining.
--Terry Pratchett et al. (The Science of Discworld)

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)