Subject: Re: Problems with DIALOG in ramdisk-small
To: Rob Bennett <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/02/2005 01:24:10
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Rob Bennett wrote:
>> So did you copy the shared lib as well?
> What's the shared lib?  There was nothing else in
> /libexec - should there be?
> I copied from, uhh, somewhere on my system, but
> it's not playing ball and I don't feel entirely
> confident I'm heading down the right avenue.
> Surely, if dialog has a bunch of dependencies, they're
> listed somewhere?  Also, surely if /libexec/ld.elf_so
> being missing affects so many other binaries, then
> google would be full of people with a similar problem
> to mine?  Something doesn't add up.
> Am I doing something *too weird*?

I think you're lacking a bit of understanding of how a number of things
work... unfortunately there's not THE MANUAL that I could throw at your
head for this, but maybe "Linkers and Loaders" would be good reading (if
you have a lot of time, and aren't afraid of getting told more than you
want to know ;) on this topic.

In short:

Stuff in the boot floppies & g4u is usually linked statically.
You seem to have managed to add a dynamilcally linked executable.
What happens if you run it is that the kernel(?) first runs the shared
library loader,, which in turn will load the shared libraries
that the binary was linked against.

Run "ldd yourbinary" to find out what these libs are in detail.

  - Hubert

Genervt von Viren und von Viren versandten Spam-Mails?  ->
Fed up from viruses & virus-originated spam mail?       ->