Subject: Re: Reformatting faq.xml
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2005 17:39:28
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Well, I was thinking of user questions, not how to do specific stuff in
> pkgsrc (which is what was in the FAQ before).  For example:
>
> 1) How do I install GNOME?  (explain the difference between gnome-base
>   and gnome)
> 2) Why does the gnome meta package depend on <foo>?  (explain the
>   rationale rationale behind the dependency tree)
> 3) Why does the help|contents menu item do not work?  (missing yelp)
> 4) I installed gstreamer and gst-plugins, but I can't play any media
>   files.  Why?
> 5) Why does the trash show no files?  (see PR number ...)
>
> I think I had some more ideas in my mind... but can't remember them now.
> Do you feel this is OK?

Hmmm, not sure. This is about documentation about running some 3rd party
application on NetBSD. I don't think we have a place for such
documentation right now. Places that come to mind are the pkgsrc guide (as
you suggested), the NetBSD guide, or somewhere in htdocs. I recommend
asking for advice on netbsd-docs@.

If the pkgsrc guide is it, I'd say add "Package specific directions"
similar to #13.5, and add it as seperate section between "5. Creating
binary packages" and "6. Frequently Asked Questions".

> I'm also thinking about rewriting some of the section headers to be
> questions (which the attached patch does not do), and maybe rewrite the
> sysconf stuff I wrote a while ago (because part of it does belong to the
> developers section, not the FAQ).  Anyway, all of these will be separate
> commits.

Yup. :)

  - Hubert

--