Subject: Re: Reformatting faq.xml
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2005 16:52:10
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 15:44 +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > I'd like to do some changes in the FAQ section in the guide.  Basically,
> > group all existing questions in a "General questions" section and then
> > add another block with GNOME-related questions of interest (more
> > sections could follow).
>
> Er, what kind of GNOME related information do you intend to put in a
> seperate FAQ section?

Well, I was thinking of user questions, not how to do specific stuff in
pkgsrc (which is what was in the FAQ before).  For example:

1) How do I install GNOME?  (explain the difference between gnome-base
   and gnome)
2) Why does the gnome meta package depend on <foo>?  (explain the
   rationale rationale behind the dependency tree)
3) Why does the help|contents menu item do not work?  (missing yelp)
4) I installed gstreamer and gst-plugins, but I can't play any media
   files.  Why?
5) Why does the trash show no files?  (see PR number ...)

I think I had some more ideas in my mind... but can't remember them now.
Do you feel this is OK?

> When I last re-organized the Pkgsrc Guide, (which I assume you're talking
> about here, in contrast to the NetBSD Guide?), I found that the FAQ
> section became the dumping place for all questions that people didn't want
> to find a better place (probably because they didn't read it entirely).
> And your plan of moving all existing FAQs into a seperate sections sounds
> like that again.
>

> > So before doing big changes to the content, I've reformatted the file.
> > There is a copy here (there is no sense in making a diff because almost
> > all lines change):
> >
> > ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/faq.xml
> >
> > Any objections in doing this?
>
> Assuming there's no content change, only whitespace, that's fine with me.

I'm also thinking about rewriting some of the section headers to be
questions (which the attached patch does not do), and maybe rewrite the
sysconf stuff I wrote a while ago (because part of it does belong to the
developers section, not the FAQ).  Anyway, all of these will be separate
commits.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>