Subject: Re: Conversion of mplayer to options framework
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2005 14:07:45
On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 08:49:17PM +0000, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> the attached patch converts mplayer to the package options framework.
> More specifically, it gets rid of the MPLAYER_DISABLE_DRIVERS,
> MPLAYER_ENABLE_RUNTIME_CPU_DETECTION and MPLAYER_USE_MEDIALIB variables.
> (How do I mark them as deprecated?  mk/defaults/obsolete.mk does not
> seem the right place, as it is says "global vars".)

From mk/bsd.options.mk:
#       PKG_OPTIONS_LEGACY_VARS
#               This is a list of USE_VARIABLE:option pairs that
#               map legacy /etc/mk.conf variables to their option
#               counterparts.

Just add a PKG_OPTIONS_LEGACY_VARS line to the options.mk file.
It's also possible to add negated options this way, i.e.
PKG_OPTIONS_LEGACY_VARS+=	NO_FOO:-foo

> However, note that I've not added neither arts, nor esound, nor nas to
> the default options.  I'm not sure this is the way to go, but reduces
> the amount of dependencies by default.  A reason in favor is that we
> already have several packages that support options to enable these
> backends, and they are disabled by default.  The "bad" side is that
> binary packages won't have any of these audio output plugins compiled in
> (but we don't have binary packages in FTP yet, do we?  See below,
> anyway.)

I don't think you should change the default options. People
who don't want them have already adjusted...

> Any objections to this?  Any detail I should improve?

Yes:
PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS is user-setable and should _not_ be used
in options.mk files. The variable you want to use instead is
PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS (see mk/bsd.options.mk and the guide).

The option names for at least runtime-cpudetection, win32, xvid,
and real should be prefixed with "mplayer-" because I don't think
other packages will use them.

Option descriptions for all options (including the package-specific
ones) should be added to mk/defaults/option.descriptions.

Why is arts disabled on SunOS (I know, not your change)?

Cheers,
 Thomas