Subject: Re: XFree86, X.org, and pkgsrc
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/01/2005 09:57:45
On Tuesday 31 May 2005 15:36, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> I don't see why you would want to be able to install both XFree86 and
> xorg from pkgsrc, which is the only reason other packages in pkgsrc
> install completely into subdirectories of ${LOCALBASE}.

A question and a comment.

Would your changes support existing instances of the {XFree86,X.org} packages
or once this goes in will I need to recompile every X using package on my
Solaris boxes (which currently use XFree86) to find the new library locations
(which will take a week or more)?

On my NetBSD boxes I actually have the X.org server package (and everything it
needed to build) installed but all X apps are built against the system X.  It
just sits out of the way in /usr/pkg/xorg where nothing sees it except on
machines that need to run the xorg xserver to support newer graphics cards.
On those machines its just a one line change in a config file to use it (and
nothing else).  Clearly with your change I'll have to rethink how I do this.

cheers
mark