Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org and Xft ?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/28/2005 14:19:23
On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 10:48:13AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Sorry - I was confused: Helvetica is not in the ms-ttf collection;
> this explains why it looks bad.  My advice when your intent is to
> interoperate tih Microsoft users is to use Arial instead of Helvetica,
> and Times New Roman instead of Times; it looks similar.  Or if you can
> find a semi-free source of helvetica TTF files, let me know - I
> couldn't find one in pkgsrc/fonts.

I tried what you did, install pkgsrc/fonts/ms-ttf and vera-ttf, and used
them as the font for the user interface, but it still doesn't look much
better.  I can use them in text documents though.

> If you are working solely in openoffice, and don't need to
> interoperate with Microsoft users, I'd use the Vera fonts.

Reading Microsoft .doc documents is all I ever use OOo for. :-(
(for those that are not clear with pkgsrc/textproc/catdoc yet)

GH

--
:wq