Subject: Re: bbconf patch
To: Tonnerre <tonnerre@thundrix.ch>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/26/2005 11:27:29
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Tonnerre wrote:

> As the bbconf team itself puts it, using killall to notify blackbox
> is a bad idea. This patch makes it use pkill itself, which actually
> exists on NetBSD.

-               system("killall -HUP blackbox");
+               system("pkill -HUP blackbox");

pkgsrc works on many systems that don't have a native pkill or a killall
that works like they expect.

Nevertheless, your fix is better than what originally exists.

The pkill I use on some of my Linux systems is from procps in
pkgsrc-wip. And killall from pkgsrc/sysutils/psmisc.

Maybe we can define something like KILL_BLACKBOX and set it like:

CPPFLAGS+=	-DKILL_BLACKBOX="pkill -HUP blackbox"

And others based on OPSYS.

Also, it appears this assumes that only one blackbox process is running on
the system.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/