Subject: Re: Smarter make update / pkg_chk algo
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/25/2005 23:03:57
On Wed, 25 May 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2005, David Brownlee wrote:
>> 	pkg_chk used to need a local pkgsrc tree, but that was rectified
>> 	in January of this year. This latest change also enables pkg_chk
>> 	-u to work against a set of binary packages.
>
> That sounds very interesting!
> Given I have a set of new binary pkgs at $URL (from a bulk build, e.g. on
> ftp.NetBSD.org), what do I have to run to update everything that I have
> installed to the new version?

 	pkg_chk currently only works against local binary packages.

 	To handle remote URLs it would either need to index the remote
 	directory and run pkg_info against every package, or pregenerate
 	a list file to be uploaded with the packages (much more feasible).

 	Definitely something at which to look once the current issues have
 	been addressed.

> If would be nice to have documentation for a number of common scenarios in
> the pkgsrc guide...

 	Definitely. I'm trying to make sure pkg_chk can work in those
 	senarios first :)