Subject: pkgsrc and distcc
To: None <email@example.com>
From: Jukka Salmi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 05/25/2005 20:07:56
is distcc supposed to work with pkgsrc? I just installed devel/distcc on
three NetBSD/i386 hosts, two of which run 2.0_STABLE, one runs -current;
all of them use the gcc from the base system (3.3.3 nb3 20040520).
The -current system (which is the build host) has the following settings in
PKGSRC_COMPILER = distcc gcc
DISTCC_HOSTS = localhost host1 host2
MAKEFLAGS += -j6
- Building various packages, I often saw errors similar to this:
--- amrecover.o ---
/build/pkg/sysutils/amanda-client/work/.wrapper/tmp/cache: 35: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting ")")
*** [amrecover.o] Error code 1
Starting the build process again without cleaning the work directory first
seems to always work around the problem. But cleaning and building again
sometimes worked as well. Seems like there are race conditions resulting
in processes reading files which are not yet (completely) written...
- I built some packages with and without distcc and compared the results:
- With sysutils/amanda-client I noticed some files said "Generated by
ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.5.18" for the non-distcc build, but
"Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.5.6" for the distcc one.
I have libtool-base-1.5.18nb2 installed - how can the distcc build
be using 1.5.6?
- Building print/xpdf using distcc resulted in a different binary
compared to when built without distcc. How come?
- Some packages like e.g. mail/mutt-devel did not make use of other
distcc hosts except for localhost. Why?
Hints and explanations are welcome!
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~