Subject: Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 1.6.2/i386 bulk build results 2005-05-21
To: Eric Gillespie <>
From: Krister Walfridsson <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2005 23:40:14
On Mon, 23 May 2005, Eric Gillespie wrote:

> Krister Walfridsson <> writes:
>> that pulls in converters/libiconv/ regardless of if
>> it is needed or not (we have not seen it fail in he bulk builds
>> because it was not used during the build before Johnny's recent
>> changes).
> That should not be entirely correct.  libiconv/ will
> be pulled in so that its can decide whether or not
> libiconv is needed.

The situation is slightly more complicated...

NetBSD 1.6 does not have iconv, but it has a libintl (that does
not need any inconv..)  The gettext-lib/ determines
that this libintl is good enough, but gettext-lib/
pulls in libiconv/ anyway.  The libiconv/
does now (correctly) determine that we don't have a libiconv,
so the pkgsrc libiconv is built.

The gtar configure script now sees that we have a libiconv, and
happily links to it...

>> I'm fine with just adding converters/libiconv/ as
>> an explicit dependency to archivers/gtar-base too.
> Why is that necessary?  gettext's already pulls it
> in.

The buildlink stuff keeps track of the include depth through
the BUILDLINK_DEPTH mechanism, and does only add the top-level
includes to the dependency...

Anyway, it looks like jlam fixed this problem yesterday...