Subject: Re: PKG_OPTIONS framework and multimedia/mplayer
To: Leonard Schmidt <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2005 15:55:11
On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 12:24 +0000, Leonard Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
> I saw that audio/musicpd is using the PKG_OPTIONS framework; would
> there be any problems when doing the same with MPlayer?
> jmmv@ mentioned a document which describes with what MPlayer should be
> build by default, I, however, didn't found that document.
> I ask because this would me allow to get rid of x11/gtk which is
> required by multimedia/libdv (not that big of a problem on my 800
> MHz beater, but on older machines it would be nice to reduce the build
> time). Aside from this, aalib and libcaca support could be added
> easily.

I think it's time to say goodbye to the MPLAYER_DISABLE_DRIVERS variable
and switch the package to use PKG_OPTIONS for everything.  Which of them
should be enabled by default, I don't know; that may be described in the
document I mentioned, which probably is:

If not, a reasonable set of dependencies should be chosen, maybe looking
at what other OSes do.  Enabling everything by default doesn't seem like
a very good idea.

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -