Subject: Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 1.6.2/i386 bulk build results 2005-05-21
To: Krister Walfridsson <>
From: Eric Gillespie <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/23/2005 20:06:17
Krister Walfridsson <> writes:

> that pulls in converters/libiconv/ regardless of if
> it is needed or not (we have not seen it fail in he bulk builds
> because it was not used during the build before Johnny's recent
> changes).

That should not be entirely correct.  libiconv/ will
be pulled in so that its can decide whether or not
libiconv is needed.

> I'm fine with just adding converters/libiconv/ as
> an explicit dependency to archivers/gtar-base too.

Why is that necessary?  gettext's already pulls it

> Or should we do something magic to prevent its usage unless it
> is really needed?

It did not occur to me that gettext would work without libiconv,
since it already had some logic to pull it in if it wasn't
built-in to the system.  If gtar-base was working with gettext
but not libiconv, shouldn't the libiconv dependency be removed
from gettext?

Eric Gillespie <*>