Subject: Re: mozilla/firefox source diffs instead of full tarballs?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/19/2005 17:14:42
> > > I have a tip/request for the mozilla and firefox packages (and maybe
> > > other big packages with frequent but minor releases).
> > >
> > > Every Firefox security update makes me download another 31 MB tarball,
> > > which is probably mostly identical to the previous one.  Could the
> > > pkgsrc devs create a diff between e.g. 1.0.3 and 1.0.4, checksum it,
> > > and just add these incremental diffs to the package distinfo file?
> > > Like e.g. the Vim package works (but this is done by the Vim
> > > developers themselves).  This will save pkgsrc users some time and
> > > bandwidth.
> >
> > I have created such a diff between Firefox 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 sources.
> > It's rather large (6706 Kb), but the diff consists mostly of changed
> > version tags (like the many CVS/Tag files).  This of course compresses
> > very well: 591 Kb left with gzip and 396 Kb with bzip2.  The latter is
> > 1.2% the download size of the total 1.0.4 tarball (assuming you already
> > have 1.0.3 sources).
> >
> > The compressed diffs can be found in http://lori.mine.nu:5190/firefox/
>
> I think this is a good idea -- can you please approach the mozilla/firefox
> developers themselves to ask them to provide this?

I did ask the mozilla people (on irc.mozilla.org), but they didn't like
the idea.  Too much time/effort/QA "for only 5 users".  They don't have
time for it (apparently their release mechanism is not at all automated,
which surprised me).

But we could still implement this in pkgsrc.  The maintainer just has to
download firefox-x.y.z-source.tar.bz, remove the CVS dirs (which will
make the diff a lot smaller), generate diff -u, checksum and upload it.
As said, this saves 99% of download size for consecutive (minor) releases.

GH

--
:wq