Subject: Re: complete list of packages
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.mai.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2005 09:12:55
On Sun, 15 May 2005, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> All the code (pkg-changes2xml, changes2html, lintpkgsrc) seems to
> originate from a single source (David Brownlee) but has diverged, at
> least in the latter file from the former two.

 	The routine in lintpksrc (and its offsprings) is a hack - it
 	knows just about enough about parsing Makefiles in perl to
 	get the package names and dependencies from pkgsrc. Its only
 	merit is the significant speedup compared to running a make
 	process for each package.
 	If we want to keep it, it probably makes sense to pull it out
 	into a perl module on which they all can depend.

 	My personal preference would be to (over time) migrate to
 	mandating that all packages start with a first non comment
 	block of:
 		PKGNAME=
 		PKGREVISION=		(optional)
 	(and automatically derive DISTNAME from PKGNAME as needed).

 	That would allow very simple and extremely fast parsing in
 	any script.