Subject: Gimp/glib malloc problem ?
To: None <>
From: Vincent <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/16/2005 08:44:17

I faintly remember to have talked about that before, but I'd like to
know if my problem is isolated or not.

When I use GIMP on big image files, e.g. 4000x3000 pixels TIFF (about 75
MB), I can't do anything: at the first use of whatever filter, GIMP
crashes with a message like: "glibc error, cannot allocate 12000 (or sth
different) bytes of memory."

I'm quite puzzled, all the more that ImageMagick works pretty fine on
the same images. I can't figure out why the galloc machinery fails.

The rlimit is at maximum:

proc.303.rlimit.memoryuse.hard = 785702912 (soft is the same).

780 MB is quite sufficient to handle the file properly, so I am a bit at
a loss. Has anybody witnessed the same behaviour?