Subject: Re: Hidden(?) dependancy between devel/gmake and
To: Lars Nordlund <>
From: Juan RP <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/09/2005 13:44:15
On Sun, 08 May 2005 23:20:55 +0200
Lars Nordlund <> wrote:

> Huh? show-depends-dirs gave the empty list, but it started installing
> libiconv anyway. The only link to from gmake to libiconv I can find is
> through the included gettext-lib/ file. A bit strange
> since gettext-lib will never be installed. Most likely the reason for
> pulling in libiconv, but there is still a problem. Doing a 'make
> clean-depends' will _not_ clean libiconv.

gmake is built by default with locale support (which requires libiconv),
libiconv requires gettext-lib... this is the order (more or less):

* gmake -> libiconv/ -> gettext-lib/

Libiconv requires gettext-lib, its file is checked to know
if your system has the minimal dependency, otherwise the package
will be installed.

They are buildlink3 dependencies not "normal" dependencies, this
is why show-depends-dirs doesn't show nothing.