Subject: Re: Smarter make update / pkg_chk algo
To: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/06/2005 01:00:19
On Wed 04 May 2005 at 10:11:29 +0200, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> pkg_chk
>
> pkg_chk makes the process of upgrading packages a piece of cake - call the
> script, lean back. While Error, Upgrade, Repeat. So having the packages one
> started out with is easy (even if it might take several invocations of
> pkg_chk, spanning hours, days, weeks ...), yet the time taken to upgrade is
> clearly not minimal. Even if no error occurs, a common flaw of pkg_chk is that
> it sequentially updates outdated packages found, and in the progress often
> compiles packages more often than needed -- i.e. more than *EXACTLY* once.

I tried to avoid this, by building a bunch of binary packages with
pkg_comp and then updating them with pkg_chk -buv... however this fails!
This is what you get:

[...]
[ Update ]
/usr/sbin/pkg_delete -K /var/db/pkg aspell
pkg_delete: package `aspell-0.50.5nb3' is required by other packages:
        abiword-2.0.14
        enchant-1.1.3nb2
        pan-0.14.2nb6
        gtkspell-2.0.8
        lyx-xforms-1.3.4nb4
** ' /usr/sbin/pkg_delete -K /var/db/pkg aspell' failed
*** Can only update packages with dependencies via -s

Duh. What good is the -b option (use only binary packages) given the
last line of the diagnostic?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            --  rhialto/at/falu.nl
\X/ Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature to help me spread!