Subject: Re: turn off buildlinking and USE_X11 and tools not needed for
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/05/2005 17:13:46
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Building print/teTeX failed on my system because it had USE_X11 and I am
> using Xorg and the builtin.mk files are skipped -- as noted in PR
> PR/29907.
>
> Anyways, why would a meta-pkg, like print/teTeX, follow the buildlinking
> in the first place if not doing a build?

Because buildlinking also does proper dependency calculation via bl3 files.
(IMNSHO, meta-pkgs should use bl3 files to pull in their components, where
available.)

I made a very conscious decision not to allow turning off buildlinking, even
in meta-pkgs.

> Or is it okay if I remove USE_X11 from this meta-package?

So long as the appropriate meta package's components define USE_X11 (as they
should ;), that should be OK.  USE_X11 does create dependencies if X11 is
built from pkgsrc, but those dependencies can be indirect in the case of
meta-pkgs.

> Also, I see that this same meta-pkg build populated the .tools/bin and
> .gcc/bin directories. Can that be turned off?

It's supposed to be possible with USE_LANGUAGES=[empty].  However, as noted
later in the thread, that's not currently possible.  There should be a fix
of the conditionals involved to make this work properly (but I'm not exactly
sure what's needed without digging deeper).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>