Subject: Re: how to kill any O* when compiling
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Timo Schoeler <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/2005 19:43:26
thus Julio M. Merino Vidal spake:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 19:14 +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>i have lots of (runtime only) troubles with db4 on macppc and sparc64.
>>for macppc there's a statement in that kills any O* statements
>>if gcc is <3.3 (although even later gccs seem to cause problems, i'm
>>testing this).
>>however, is there a way to kill any O* statements when building the
>>package? i tried sth. like CFLAGS-=-O* and COPTS-=-O* in /etc/mk.conf,
>>but this didn't work (there were still -O2's)...
>>any idea?
> Try adding this to mk.conf (untested) or to the package makefiles:

tried, didn't work (AFAICS).

> BTW, I also had problems with perl built with -O2 under Linux/ppc (well,
> in fact it didn't built because miniperl gave problems at runtime, thus
> breaking the build).  Is GCC so buggy under this arch?

perl58 runs fine for me under NetBSD/macppc.

however, that not functioning db4 is really annoying because i need it
for cyrus22 and netatalk.

Timo Schoeler | |
//macfinity -- finest IT services |
Key fingerprint = F844 51BE C22C F6BD 1196  90B2 EF68 C851 6E12 2D8A

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.