Subject: xscreensaver doesn't die
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/02/2005 07:56:18
Since upgrading to gnome2 2.10, and to xscreensaver 4.21, I find that
often the xscreensaver "hack" is still running after the screen is
unlocked, and the Xserver is consuming quite a bit of CPU. I do not
believe I've ever seen this before (and I was already running NetBSD
2.0.* with gnome 1.X and xscreensaver 4.13 or so).

With random hacks, there might even be more than one running.

If I choose to let xscreensaver run just one screensaver, it'll always
succeed in killing the running one and restarting another.  (The PID
changes.)  If I kill the xscreensaver daemon (normally, with the
control panel), the hack will die, and I can also kill it with a
SIGKILL, but only a SIGKILL.

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea what's going on, if it's a fault
in xscreensaver, or a fault with gnome virtual screens?

Frederick