Subject: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/30/2005 13:09:59
--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:14:47PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
=20
> > How about the attached patch?
> >=20
> > This way, on a fast machine you can
> >=20
> > cd /usr/pkgsrc
> > make BATCH=3Dyes bulk-cache
> >=20
> > then copy the files ${BULK_DBFILE} ${DEPENDSTREEFILE} ${INDEXFILE}
> > ${ORDERFILE} ${SUPPORTSFILE} and ${DEPENDSFILE} onto the slower machine,
> > set PRESERVE_BULK_CACHE=3Dyes in your build.conf and save a few hours/d=
ays
> > of work.
>=20
> well.... you have to be careful here.  The dependency tree is operating
> system, operating system version, and machine architecture dependent.

Oh, of course, this is all caveat emptor.  But it's a time saver if you
have a reasonably fast machine of one architecture and some slower archs
of another, if you, the user, claim to know what you're doing. ;-)

Maybe I should add a honking disclaimer.  The default would be to not
preserve cache-files anyway, so presumably that would be safe.

> For example, the acroread package pulls in the compat_linux stuff on
> NetBSD-i386, but not on NetBSD-sparc or Linux or Solaris.

True.  I'll create dependstrees for my different bulk-build machines
once from i386, once from amd64 and once from native and compare the
output to see where it's feasable to move the files over.

-Jan

--=20
I'm not even supposed to be here today!

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx