Subject: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/30/2005 13:09:59

Dan McMahill <> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:14:47PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > How about the attached patch?
> >=20
> > This way, on a fast machine you can
> >=20
> > cd /usr/pkgsrc
> > make BATCH=3Dyes bulk-cache
> >=20
> > then copy the files ${BULK_DBFILE} ${DEPENDSTREEFILE} ${INDEXFILE}
> > ${ORDERFILE} ${SUPPORTSFILE} and ${DEPENDSFILE} onto the slower machine,
> > set PRESERVE_BULK_CACHE=3Dyes in your build.conf and save a few hours/d=
> > of work.
> well.... you have to be careful here.  The dependency tree is operating
> system, operating system version, and machine architecture dependent.

Oh, of course, this is all caveat emptor.  But it's a time saver if you
have a reasonably fast machine of one architecture and some slower archs
of another, if you, the user, claim to know what you're doing. ;-)

Maybe I should add a honking disclaimer.  The default would be to not
preserve cache-files anyway, so presumably that would be safe.

> For example, the acroread package pulls in the compat_linux stuff on
> NetBSD-i386, but not on NetBSD-sparc or Linux or Solaris.

True.  I'll create dependstrees for my different bulk-build machines
once from i386, once from amd64 and once from native and compare the
output to see where it's feasable to move the files over.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)