Subject: Re: Still a challenge: pkgsrc on IRIX 6.5
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2005 21:30:01
hi,

to come up with this again (sorry, but i absolutely had no spare time
to get into this in april :(...

on 25th march 2005 Jan Schaumann wrote:

>>> I am note sure, but it might be that pkgsrc on IRIX is configured to
>>> assume
>>> MIPSpro cc.
>>
>> but (as even jan schaumann said) it _should_ run with gcc.
>
> Right, if gcc is actually used.  But as you see below, you're actually
> invoking the MIPSPro compiler.

i reinstalled the machine from scratch a few days ago (6.5.27m) as i
got a faster CPU in it (it now is a R12k/400 with 2MByte cache -- nice
for pkgcomp i guess ;) and gave it another try:

* installed IRIX 6.5.27m from scratch

* installed patches and cvs, gcc

* just out of curiosity built OpenSSL 0.9.7f (IIRC) and OpenSSH 4 as
well as GnuPG 1.4.0 -- it just worked (TM)!

* checked out pkgsrc and bootstrapped it (it worked as always up til
this point)

* tried to build sth from pkgsrc -- now it *loops*. yes, it loops. i'll
provide an example of this tomorrow or so.

however, now going to the main point of my email:

i'd really like to contribute to the IRIX side of pkgsrc, but to do so
i have to be able to run it...

is there any volunteer to have a peek on my machine? the machine is
accessable from the net when it's up and running...

i'll provide account information -- please (privately) mail me. tia!

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.