Subject: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages
To: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2005 11:46:09
> why not? Most stuff should compile nicely on a 68k NetBSD platform.

Binary package builds are running for NetBSD 1.6.2 on m68k, but NetBSD 2.0
is broken on m68k, and until it's fixed, I won't be running 2.0 on any of
my m68k machines.

>>   * Keep overhead low. Try bootstrapping pkgsrc on a slow machine, or
>>     build things there. There's a lot of overhead going into "portability"
>>     across various operating systems (which is nice to have, but not
>>     crucial for NetBSD), which costs performance on slow platforms.
>
> even better, try bootstrapping pkgsrc and building packages on a slow
> non-NetBSD platform.

Startup of a bulk package build on a VAXstation 4000/60 has already taken
45 hours and it's still building the depends tree. Same with a 40 MHz
m68040 Mac Quadra 605. After 25 hours, a 60 MHz m68060 Amiga is still
doing up and down dependency files. It'd be nice if all of this work could
be done on a fast machine and the slow machines could just do the actual
compiling...

John Klos