Subject: Re: syspkg [was: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2005 14:51:43
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> >  * One packging system comprising both add-on and original NetBSB
> >    system software, ideally making it possible to update any
> >    functional unit of the operating system using only package
> >    commands on binary packages.
>
> The "package"-part of that is known as "syspkgs",

I know.

> see src/distrib/syspkg
> for some work (in unknown state).

I know.

> What the procedures are for building,
> installing, and upgrading syspkgs are unknown to me, and much less to what
> extent they are similar to "normal" (pkgsrc) packages.

As far as I know, there are no such procedures.
I may be wrong, though.

> This whole thing will probably need collaboration from NetBSD and pkgsrc
> developers. Right now I have a faint feeling that each group's thinking
> the other one will solve the problems. :)

So what else has changed in the last >2 years?  :-)

But I don't wish to rehash past discussions without reading up
on the current state of affairs.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de