Subject: syspkg [was: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages]
To: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2005 12:38:10
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
>  * One packging system comprising both add-on and original NetBSB
>    system software, ideally making it possible to update any
>    functional unit of the operating system using only package
>    commands on binary packages.

The "package"-part of that is known as "syspkgs", see src/distrib/syspkg
for some work (in unknown state). What the procedures are for building,
installing, and upgrading syspkgs are unknown to me, and much less to what
extent they are similar to "normal" (pkgsrc) packages.

This whole thing will probably need collaboration from NetBSD and pkgsrc
developers. Right now I have a faint feeling that each group's thinking
the other one will solve the problems. :)

  - Hubert