Subject: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages
To: None <>
From: Volker A. Brandt <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/25/2005 14:29:03
> Areas that I see in pkgsrc that need attention are:
>   * better integrate binary pkgs in "release" handling, not only from
>     the pkgsrc team  but esp. with interfacing to operating system
>     projects like NetBSD (also DFBSD, maybe OpenSolaris at some point).
>   * Try to get crosscompiling going to some extent - even a 30%-solution
>     means more pkgs for NetBSD/amiga than we have today!
>   * Keep overhead low. Try bootstrapping pkgsrc on a slow machine, or
>     build things there. There's a lot of overhead going into "portability"
>     across various operating systems (which is nice to have, but not
>     crucial for NetBSD), which costs performance on slow platforms.
>   * Documentation. Existing one's scattered across too many places.
>     Undocumented items include upgrading under various constraints.

  * One packging system comprising both add-on and original NetBSB
    system software, ideally making it possible to update any
    functional unit of the operating system using only package
    commands on binary packages.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW:
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: