Subject: checksumming all package files
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/24/2005 17:39:18

It recently occurred to me that since we have the checksum of all files
in a given package already recorded, it would be simple to write a small
program that could verify the integrity of all files, as some sort of
'tripwire'-like IDS for all your packages.

So I went ahead and did just that as an exercise in writing awk (which I
do too rarely anyway).  The result is called 'pkg_ids' and can be
downloaded from

Obviously, checksumming all files installed via pkgsrc is very expensive
-- I ran this on a machine where I have over 1050 packages installed,
and it took about 30 minutes to complete.

If somebody else is interested in this program, please give it a spin
and let me know any problems or suggestions.  If others think that this
might be useful, then I'd consider adding this to the audit-packages

   It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
		  -- Calvin

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)