Subject: checksumming all package files
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/24/2005 17:39:18
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

Hi,

It recently occurred to me that since we have the checksum of all files
in a given package already recorded, it would be simple to write a small
program that could verify the integrity of all files, as some sort of
'tripwire'-like IDS for all your packages.

So I went ahead and did just that as an exercise in writing awk (which I
do too rarely anyway).  The result is called 'pkg_ids' and can be
downloaded from http://www.netmeister.org/apps/pkg_ids-0.1.tar.gz

Obviously, checksumming all files installed via pkgsrc is very expensive
-- I ran this on a machine where I have over 1050 packages installed,
and it took about 30 minutes to complete.

If somebody else is interested in this program, please give it a spin
and let me know any problems or suggestions.  If others think that this
might be useful, then I'd consider adding this to the audit-packages
package.

Thanks,
-Jan

--=20
   It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.
		  -- Calvin

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--