Subject: Re: goals for NetBSD binary packages
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/2005 13:37:27
On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 04:29:56PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I want a complete set of packages updated continuously for pkgsrc-current
> for netbsd-1-6 and netbsd-2 of i386. (Maybe for netbsd-current too.) Run
> bulk build with USE_BULK_TIMESTAMPS=no every day and have packages
> available for download.
>
> We should also have complete set of pkgsrc-stable for netbsd-1-6 and
> netbsd-2 for most used platforms. This should be updated also daily and
> new packages made available at least daily.

> I know bulk builds can take several days, but doing a bulk build with
> USE_BULK_TIMESTAMPS=no on pkgsrc-stable in most cases should go fast.

Well, no that fast. On my Ultra5/sparc32, just the pre-build operations takes
about 12 hours.

> We should never have missing dependencies on download servers, since this
> wastes time (at least initially).
>
> Anyways, we need more hardware and bandwidth to do all this.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect TNF to offer, host and manage the
systems needed for this goal. We should rely on individuals making hardware
available online for bulk builds.
Right now, I do continous builds for 2.0/sparc (one bulk build takes 2 to 3
days, depending on what needs to be rebuild). However, if I'm not at work
packages won't be uploaded and a new build won't be started. If other
peoples had access to this box, they could take care of this when I'm
away.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>