Subject: Re: make update
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Richard Braun <syn@sceen.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2005 22:38:50
--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:50:16PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> As we all know, 'make update' is not foolproof.  My main problem with it
> is that if it fails, I'm left with a system in a very questionable
> state, as some packages may have been removed but did not get
> reinstalled.
>=20
> Could we tweak the 'make update' target so that if it fails it writes
> out to a file what's left to do, preferably so that one can simply do

Hello,

As you mentioned, this is a problem. The pkgtools/pkg_chk package is
one way to work around it, though. Once you have packages installed,
you can reference them in a separate file using pkg_chk -g, which will
list all installed packages in this file. You can then remove the packages
you don't really want, which are just dependancies, for example. When
make update fails, packages will be missing. As soon as a fix is applied
so that packages missing can be rebuilt, one can use pkg_chk -a to readd
those back into the system. There are other useful options, like -i, to
compare installed packages against pkgsrc packages version, and -u, to
update them, and -k, to keep building even in case a build fails. I was
thinking to ask it later, but this message is a good occasion : could pkg_c=
hk
be documented in the NetBSD Guide, or at least referenced, as a tool
which can help solve this kind of problems. If someone is interested in it,
pkg_chk could even be improved (i don't know how, though), and integrated
into the base system. If there are other means to acheive what is asked
here, let us know :-).

--=20
Richard Braun

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe