Subject: Re: pkg-config vs. buildlink3
To: None <>
From: Juan RP <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/20/2005 19:11:18
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:05:28 +0200
Matthias Drochner <> wrote:

> Hi -
> it seems that either pkgconfig developed some unfortunate
> features in the last months, or that some buildlink3 hack
> got lost which made pkg-config as needed.
> The problem is appearently that pkg-config always searches
> the builtin prefix/lib/pkgconfig path for *.pc files, whether
> a PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set or not. So "configure" scripts using
> pkg-config to detect the presence of optional libraries will
> find pkgs which are deliberately not buildlink'd in.
> This seems to be the deeper reason of eg PR pkg/30013.
> The pkg-config manpage also mentions a PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
> environment variable which would do what we need, just that
> that string is only present in documentation, not in code.
> What to do here -- hack pkg-config or build a wrapper?

I changed the buildink3 file to use PKG_CONFIG_PATH some weeks
ago, are you using it?

revision 1.8
date: 2005/03/30 22:31:30;  author: xtraeme;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -4
After looking at the code, looks like PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR isn't used
anymore, we have to use PKG_CONFIG_PATH, this closes my own PR